We are a registered 501© 3 non-profit organization that promotes independence and a sense of belonging for individuals with intellectual and development disabilities, IDD. We foster social connections between those with and without IDD through assisted programming and coaching, We believe a sense of belonging is essential to a fulfilling life.
How do you promote inclusion for people with disabilities?
5 Ways To Be Inclusive of People With Disabilities
- Don't Assume What Is or Isn't Possible. Disabilities affect all different types of people.
- Use Appropriate Language.
- Get Creative!
- Equal Opportunity Goes Beyond Hiring.
- Seek Input From People With Disabilities.
Culturally inclusive environment
- Freely express who they are, their own opinions and points of view.
- Fully participate in teaching, learning, work and social activities.
- Feel safe from abuse, harassment or unfair criticism.
The new frontier for individuals with IDD is Inclusion
Community Inclusion to live and thrive as a contributing member of society while being valued for the unique person you are is vital to all people whether you have a disability or not. The goal of inclusion is to live a full and happy life. Their Place strives to help our served individuals gain a feeling of autonomy and control over all aspects of their lives. We believe that when we work with our served individuals and their families, a stronger sense of community and belonging is achieved.
Key Elements for Inclusion
- Employment or Volunteerism
- Education – Vocational training
- Recreation and Leisure
- Civic Engagement
- Peer Support